#MerlotMe and Wine Pairing Weekend; We’re At It Again!
October Is #MerlotMe Month
Our Wine Pairing Weekend group had so much fun with MerlotMe in October last year, we decided to do it again! In collaboration with the MerlotMe wineries, we’ll be posting and chatting up our love for Merlot in the month of October. Join us as we celebrate the much maligned grape that deserves respect!
Our celebration culminates early in October, on the second Saturday. We’ll be chatting on Twitter on Saturday morning, October 8th at 11:00am EDT, 8:00am PDT. Join us at the double hashtags of #MerlotMe and #WinePW. See the details below if you have a blog and want to participate in our group!
Merlot is one of the six noble grapes: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. These are the classic grapes for wine, well known and loved around the world. Merlot is one of the workhorse grapes in the pinnacle of red wines, Bordeaux. It ripens more reliably than Cabernet Sauvignon. It’s deep and plush and a little easier to enjoy in its youth. How then, did it fall from grace?
Merlot & Sideways – Urban Legend or Truth?
The popularity of Merlot in the US skyrocketed and then dropped off a cliff, loosely related to the popular movie “Sideways” wherein Miles, the protagonist of the film utters the famous words in the clip below. October is your chance to join our Wine Pairing Weekend group and other Merlot lovers in a global celebration of this noble grape. Help us return Merlot to its’ rightful place!
How to join us:
- Send an email to tell me you’re in: Include blog url, Twitter handle, and any other social media details. If you know your blog post title, include that…but you can also send that a bit closer to the event. We’d just like to get a sense of who’s participating and give some shout-outs and links as we go. My email is here.
- Prepare a dish to pair with your chosen Merlot. Write up your experience and get ready to post and share. But don’t post it yet!
- Send your post title to me by Tuesday, October 4th to be included in the preview post. I will prepare a preview post shortly after getting the titles, linking to your blogs. Your title should include “#WinePW.”
- Publish your post between 12:01 a.m-8:00 a.m. EDT on Saturday, October 8th. You can always schedule your post in advance if you will be tied up that morning.
- Include links to the other #WinePW participants in your post, and a description of what the event is about. I’ll provide the HTML code that you can easily put in your initial post — which will link to people’s general blog url — then the updated code for the permanent links to everyone’s #winePW posts.
- Get social! After the posts go live, please visit your fellow bloggers posts’ to comment and share. We have a Facebook group for participating bloggers to connect and share, too.
- Sponsored posts are OK if clearly disclosed. Please be sure to disclose if your post is sponsored or if you are describing wine or other products for which you have received a free sample.
I’ve included samples of what I prepared last year. I can’t wait to see what our group cooks up this year, we hope you’ll join us!