Trouble at the Intersection of Food & Wine
(A new monthly wine writing challenge comes from the Armchair Sommelier this month, with “Trouble” as our challenge topic)
As my interest in wine & food has grown, trouble has come from places I never expected.
- Imagined trouble: the expense of wine purchases. As interest grows, so grows the price per bottle and the number of bottles. Surprisingly, no problems here from the chief financial officer (CFO). We are being more social, inviting friends over more often. Need a gift? No problem, many bottles to choose from downstairs. Wine dinners, meeting new people. Great! Phew.
- Minor trouble: Food bloggers eat cold food. This is OK for the blogger, but the spouse may not be so happy. Guests? You don’t mind if I take some photos do you? I suppose this is only a problem for amateur food bloggers. Pro’s likely separate the cooking/photography and the actual eating.
Finally, real trouble makes an appearance:
- “Have you ever heard of cleaning up while you cook?”
- “Did you really need to dirty every single measuring cup, spoon, pot and pan that we own?”
- “I have an idea: why don’t you start blogging about pairing wines with takeout!”